Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Name

MY NAME


Nadia. Such a simple name and yet when someone says it with happiness and pride, it lightens up my mood and completes my day. My name is from Russian, Arabic and Swahili origin. They all have different meanings; in Russian it means "hope", in Arabic it means "moist, tender and delicate", and in Swahili it means "caller". Some have teased me about Nadia meaning moist, but I don’t mind. Just how I didn’t mind when one boy called me "Narnia". It just means that I’m adventurous, just like the book. Such an adventure-filled journey through darkness.

I’m the kind of girl who has multiple names. My family calls me "Nana", from my middle name Adrianna, and sometimes old family friends or relatives call me "Adrianna". But my friends are different. They give me “fun” nicknames such as Naderzzz, Nodders and Nadie. I don’t know any particular reason as to why I am called these, but I love all my nicknames because it’s like a connection with the many kind of people I socialize with. When I hear these in the hallway, I turn around straight away like a person dodging a bullet. Though I respond to these nicknames, I will never remember my true identity. My mom named me after the great Nadia Comaneci because she hopes that one day, I will become an Olympian. Therefore came the meaning of Nadia, hope.

-Nadia Redza

No comments:

Post a Comment